Monday, May 24, 2010

Helping Without Talking

Try these help-aids with your students when you don’t have time to stop and chat.

  • Redirection. If the student is off-task and/or looks lost, point to the task they should be on.
  • Permission. A nod of the head is a good way to tell a student it is okay to ask a question.
  • Understanding. Have the students use a signal to indicate where they are with the material. For example, raising one finger means I'm lost, two fingers means I'm catching on and three fingers means I've got it.
  • Praise. Use a non-verbal gesture such as thumbs up or a vertical nod of the head when something good happens.

Did you notice the hand gesture in the photo in relation to the text?

1 comment:

Najae said...

i think i like these points. I will start using them in my class with my students