Friday, February 29, 2008

What I Learned My First Year Teaching Adults

It’s OK to Smile!
• Have some fun when you are teaching and students will have some fun learning.
• Treat people as human beings – not just a warm body or a number – they all have names.
• Arrive early. Arrange the room and set the tone – be prepared in case you have to hunt down a key to unlock the door.

Start On Time
• Start on time; end on time.
• People learn quickly when you start on time – they’ll arrive promptly for succeeding sessions.
• Stop on time and stick around a few minutes for those with additional questions.
• Door signs and maps help get students to class on time.
• Have a plan for what you teach and how you will teach it.
• Know your content so well that you can spend most of your time working on how you teach rather than on reading your notes.
• Be flexible, but stay on target with your main ideas and objectives.

Use Variety
• A variety of teaching strategies make your points more interesting.
• Don’t be afraid to try something new to grab student attention.

Apps, Jerold. “What I Learned My First Year Teaching.” Course Trends, Vol. 24, No. 6: p. 15.

6 comments:

Staff said...

A great list of real classroom stratigies. Another one that I learned was to emulate those who practice the subject of instruction. For example, if I were teaching fly fishing, I would not come to class dressed in a Speedo!

Another aspect of emulation is to use the terminology the way it is used in the field. Do the practitioners use the big, fancy words on a day-to-day basis?

Anyone have other suggestions?

Paul S said...

Thanks for the comment. I believe we emulate those we admire without fully being aware of it. For instance, in a classroom situation we have a tendency to copy those things we like in our instructor if we are going to be teaching. I have heard this from participants in our Teaching Adults Class.

Any more thoughts?

Staff said...

Good point--and explains why I have old, wrinkled, yellowed notes just like the professors who I had as an undergrad. LOL

Tom McDannold said...

Does this mean I must wear my waders all during my fly fishing class?

Staff said...

What are the dates of the spring recess? Thanks.

Paul S said...

Spring Break is March 24 through the 28th. Thanks for asking.