Thursday, March 6, 2008

Latest 5 Best Teaching Tips

Here’s the latest 5 best teaching tips. They are from the May-June issue of the LERN Magazine, a special issue on learning and teaching.

1. Try one new thing
Every time I teach, I try to add or try one new thing.
Sometimes it doesn't work, sometimes it does. But the "one new thing" seems to keep me interested, on edge, and keeps the material fresher.
– Tom Trumpy

2. Students monitor timer
Notice how it is better to have another student monitor the timer rather than you as instructor.
– Joyce Brinkmeyer

3. One minute intermission
There is the one minute intermission. Interrupt participants at various times in the class and ask them to write down any questions or thoughts they have about the material being covered on 3X5 cards. Collect and respond to the cards without identifying the contributor. This allows individuals who don't want to speak up the opportunity to participate in the discussion. This process could provide a viewpoint which hadn't been considered by you or the students. You are almost guaranteed to have someone provide a bit of comic relief, too.
– Susan Grimes

4. Sing to radio
To the thoughts of preparation for class I add one that a very wise teacher once told me...prepare your voice. He taught speech and said one of the biggest mistakes we make is not getting our voice ready each day and it tires us out. So I learned to sing along with the radio, make faces and get my vocal chords ready each day on the way to school. I'm sure the cars that I passed wondered who I was talking to.
-Joyce Brinkmeyer

5. Web site for icebreakers
There is a website called About.com that is in essence a giant advertisement sprinkled with handy tips to know and tell! One of the pages is on Ice Breakers for Adults, which lists a number of activities. Check it out: http://adulted.about.com/od/icebreakers/
-Julia Dozier

This is shared courtesy of LERN.

2 comments:

Perry Callas said...

I like to solicit questions from students about class-related topics which may not be on my syllabus. If I don't know the answer to a student's question, I write it down and research it when I get home. I then email the answer to the student (if they have email) or get back to them during the next class session. This assures the students that I'm truly interested in their concerns, and it encourages everyone to be more involved during class.

Staff said...

Perry: This is a great strategy. It certainly helps put 'community' back in Community Learning.