Monday, September 28, 2009

Make the Courtesy Call

Has someone given you a courtesy call to remind you of an appointment? I find them to be of value and decided to extend the same courtesy to my students. It has turned out to make the beginning of class much smoother. This results from the calls being a time to answer questions and/or pass on additional information.

An example that comes to mind is the student who informed me during the call that they would not be unable to attend the class. I advised them to contact the department at (541) 383-7270 and make the necessary arrangements. Additional information that can be given includes:

  • A statement about parking conditions.
  • What items the student needs to bring to class.
  • The availability of food.
  • Directions to the classroom.

I make the call about a week in advance of the class. The script is along the following lines:

Hi, my name is (your name) and I am calling to remind you that our class (fill in the topic) will be starting on (fill in the day), at (fill in the time). It is located in room (fill in the number), at the (fill in the campus).

Contact your program manager for a class roster with names and telephone numbers.

No comments: