Monday, November 8, 2010

Dealing with Late Arriving Students

We all want to start our class on time; it is respectful to those who are present and we don’t like to repeat ourselves. Carol Smith brings up an interesting point that we need to also be aware of as we teach adults. She writes for Helium and says the following:
“Remember that your students have lives. If they are late arriving there is probably a reason. It isn't helpful to turn into your old form teacher and be rude to them. I remember attending a course myself a few years ago. One night I was late leaving work, and then was caught in traffic. I arrived home, wolfed a speedy sandwich and went straight out to my class. All the tutor said when I arrived was 'Do please try to be on time'. I hadn't been late before. Needless to say I didn't return to the classes.”
Sharing the expectation of being on time at the start of the first class and then understanding that life happens, can keep you and the class on track for a good experience.
You can read her complete post at: http://www.helium.com/items/980193-tips-for-teaching-adult-learners-instead-of-younger-learners

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great example. Some times it is hard to see things from our students perspective but very important to do!

Staff said...

Thanks for the comment.

Michelle Wood said...

I find that people sometimes work late and cannot arrive at a 6 pm class on time. However, they know I will start on time as I explicitly state this right at the end of the first class (so I know everyone hears it), that we'll begin on time for all future sessions.

This lets folks know what to expect, and the ones who cannot make the 6 pm start are very courteous and quiet when they enter a few minutes late.

I just give them a smile and a little wave, and keep on teaching.

Michelle